RPA Survey Results: Benefits and Challenges
RRobocop, a top provider of Gen2 robotic process automation (RPA), announced the results of their State of RPA survey, which was designed to understand the challenges users face with current RPA solutions. The results will help usher in the next generation of enterprise automation – Gen2 RPA.
Conducted online in May 2022, The State of RPA includes the perspectives and opinions of RPA users, specifically IT teams, and found that while the RPA industry is growing, the current options available are not meeting consumer standards. The results indicate a clear need for stronger, more reliable, and fairly priced technology.
First, Robocop utilized The State of RPA to gain a more concrete understanding of how many individuals are using RPA and their reasons for investing in the technology:
- RPA is a growing industry, with 67% of respondents investing in the technology in the past year. Further, 81% of respondents plan to invest in RPA in the next year.
- Respondents reported a plethora of benefits from using RPA, including Speed of task completion (35%); Handling of repetitive tasks (30%); Accuracy of task completion (26%)
- Additionally, respondents reported varied reasons for investing in and using RPA, including The ability to adapt current tech to meet evolving needs (34%); The ability to scale and meet evolving processing needs (22%); However, 33% of respondents agreed that the primary reason to invest in more RPA is improved customer service to get up and running quickly.
Second, The State of RPA helped Robocorp to uncover several challenges users are facing with the technology:
- 69% of respondents experience broken bots at least once per week. While the number varies across industries, it is particularly high in healthcare (80%), finance (84%), and manufacturing (70%).
- Almost half (41%) said it takes over 5 hours to fix a broken bot. However, some respondents noted it takes 24 hours or more to fix a broken bot – specifically in the healthcare (44%), finance (48%), and manufacturing (38%) industries.
- 34% of respondents say the primary value of RPA during digital transformation is its ability to adapt current technology to meet evolving needs, while 22% say it’s the ability to scale and meet evolving processing needs. That totals 56% of respondents who would benefit from the speed and flexibility of open-source RPA solutions, but 81% of respondents say half or less of their RPA technology is open source.
- 65% of respondents agree that they would benefit from usage-based pricing.
“As RPA becomes increasingly more popular across industries and is often relied upon to drive company growth and success, the results from The State of RPA show that it’s time to progress to Gen2 RPA technology,” said Antti Karjalainen, Co-Founder & CEO of Robocorp Inc. “As a leader in Gen2 RPA technology, we’re eager to help consumers make the switch and give them access to powerful open-source development tools that can help achieve their company’s automation goals.”
Gen2 RPA is a better, faster, and more cost-effective automation solution than its predecessors. It utilizes parallel processing to run automation faster on a fraction of the infrastructure. In addition, it allows users to quickly build, optimize and scale sustainable bots through open-source robot framework platforms, reduces bot fragility, and saves users money through a consumption-based pricing model.